Wednesday 23 March 2016

Easy Guide for Learning How to Transplant a Seedling



The springtime is around the corner and the world of gardeners is looking forward to another outdoors gardening season. For me, spring is a nature’s way to describe life with in all of its beauty. But spring is also the time of the year when an indoor grown veggies and herbs should be transplanted to an outdoor garden. Don’t worry if you’re not quite sure how to do that. Just relax and follow my easy guide for learning how to transplant a seedling.

Popular Agricultural Transplanting Seedlings Tool

Harden Off the Seedlings and Prepare the Soil

Your plant has shown its first true leaves. It means that the time of transplantation has arrived. Luckily for my plants, it didn’t took me long to figure out that my tender green youngsters need to go through a small training process before going out to the real world.

I call it a plant hardening course. Basically it means that I temporarily and gradually expose my plants to outdoor weather conditions, which is much better than the alternative of having my plants going through a suddenshift and eventually a transplant shock.

Besides hardening, you should make an early preparation of the soil. What I do is I always dig the holes and set up the new home for my plants before I move them. See it this way. Can you live in an unfurnished home? Well, neither can your plants.   

Handle with Care and Cover the Plants

Transplanting a plant without a proper garden tool is like fishing without a fishing gear. But be careful not to harm your seedlings.

Once you hit the perfect timing for moving your plants, start doing it with a special care. Plant seedlings and stems are very gentle and fragile, so don’t forget to turn your extra sensitive touch on.

Now, let me give you a free advice - cover your plants for a few days after the transplantation. Last year I did that with my basil Spice Globe, as well as with thyme and sage and the result was great. For covering I usually use buckets or upturned flowerpots, but you can also try with cardboard boxes or a piece of lightweight cloth.

Leave your comments below and don’t hesitate to ask a question if you need help with transplanting a plant!




No comments:

Post a Comment