Tuesday 24 May 2016

Fresh Food for Your Health: Planting Baby Brussels Sprouts


Do you know how Brussels sprouts got their name? I was curious to learn more about it and I found out that they are thought to be native to Belgium and its capital Brussels. The use of this healthy plant spread across Europe during World War I. I keep on planting baby Brussels sprouts because I want to be sure that I and my family will have fresh food on our daily menu. Take a look at my tricks for planting this health beneficial veggie.      


Baby Brussels Sprouts Can Be Eaten Raw or Cooked

First You Grow Them

I love growing baby Brussels sprouts for their mild, sweet cabbage flavor. However, I’m planting them for a more important reason.

Brussels sprouts provide special nutrient support for three important body systems: the detox system, the antioxidant system and the anti-inflammatory system.

Dolores H and Groninger are Brussels sprout varieties that I grow and they both thrive in well-drained soil and warm, sunny locations. They have an amazing taste.

Then You Cook Them

I like eating raw, fresh vegetables whenever I can. But occasionally I do a little cooking as well. My serving suggestion for baby Brussels sprouts includes cutting them in half and steaming them until tender.

After they’re cooked, I season them with salt, pepper and extra virgin olive oil. Yum, yum!

By the way, don’t miss what other people also liked:

·      Mesclun Mixes: 4 Must-Grow Super Greens
·      Health & Gardening: How to Grow Baby Cabbage
·      World of Micro Greens: Health Benefits of Growing Kohlrabi
·      Tips for Growing Healthy Micro Greens: Radish Varieties
   

No comments:

Post a Comment