Tuesday 22 December 2015

Tomatoes against Pests: Who Will Win



I have an award winning question for you. Ready? Do you know what food festival is known as the World’s Biggest Food Fight? The answer is La Tomatina. Since 1945 this annual festival is held in Spain, in the town of Bunol.

Thousands of people from all corners of the world come every year to take part in a major tomato fight, where 20,000 tomato warriors (limited number since 2013) use more than one hundred metric tons of over-ripe tomatoes to turn this town red.

Those of you who knew the answer probably wonder what the prize was. Well, it’s this post and the topic that starts from here. How to identify tomato pests and control them? I’ll try to give you some essential information on tomato pests.     

Pests that Love Your Tomatoes More Than They Should

If you want to beat your enemy, you first have to identify it. The most frequent insects and pests that bother my beautiful tomatoes are whiteflies, aphids, tomato cutworms, flea beetles and hornworms. My advice is that you make a garden list of most wanted tomato offenders and kindly ask them to stop annoying your tomatoes. 

How to Ask Pests to Leave Your Tomatoes Alone

Or you can take extra measures to show the pests that you’re not kidding. Use preventive measures and clear away weeds and debris around your crisp, juicy buddies. I also suggest the use of yellow sticky-traps (to capture adult beetles), row covers (for covering young plants) and beneficial nematodes (they feed on the larvae and pupae).

I sometimes spray the pests with water, handpick the pests, or use organic herbicides. But my favourite option is to release natural predators such as lacewings, ladybugs and whitefly parasites to take care of intruders. After all, you know the proverb – my enemy’s enemy is my friend. I agree in this case.

How do you take care of your tomato friends? Share your experiences with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment